Thursday, June 18, 2015

Tipsy Herb Tower: Gtwins Green Thumb

I was looking for something to do with the boys that would give them a sense of accomplishment and teach them some new skills. So I decided to take an idea that I have had for years and bring it to life.

I use a lot of fresh herbs in my summer cooking so I have long thought about a way to have my own small herb plants at home...but where and how? We have lots of land but we work all the time. I didn't want a huge undertaking or herbs that would eventually overtake my landscaping.

After careful planning (really it was some nights of surfing the web and know what we really use) I came up with...
The Tipsy Herb Tower!!!

Some simple terracotta pots, spray paint, plastic sturdy rod, potting soil and some delicious herbs from our favorite farm stand and BOOM...we are in business!

To start:
 
I painted the pots and had them ready to roll a couple of days prior. I found the nearest pantless toddler to accompany me to the garage to find the rod.
 
 
(Warning: potty training in progress)

Then with Mickey Mouse garden tools in hand, the Gtwins and I began our potting adventure. We filled and stacked the pots first to make sure that my crazy idea was actually going to work.  I let it sit for a couple of days before adding more weight to it.
*I did end up with one extra pot that I thought would be good but it made the rest to unstable.
 
 
It worked!!!
Soon after, I had a day off and the boys were at the sitters so I decided to take the opportunity to pick up my pre-planned herbs. I made my choice base on what we would use and how much water each plant would need...my noodle told me that while this idea was good gravity would kick in sooner then later!
 
So I went with Mint, Dill, Basil, Dill, Cilantro and Chives...I also stumbled upon a Chocolate Mint plant and couldn't resist so I put that in my extra pot.

After just 2 weeks of the Gtwins generous watering (watering cans are the coolest!) and some rainy days we had some pretty fruitful crops! I took the opportunity to expand on the Gtwins most recently acquired scissor skills and snipped some herbs for our favorite Sunday activity...cooking!
 
 
Fine motoring it!

I can't believe that for under $30 we have plenty of herbs for the entire summer, the Gtwins are learning responsibility and we have a very cool landscape piece!
 
Happy Planting, Learning and Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment